Friday, May 18, 2007

Who invented blushing?

Blushing is a bizarre thing isn't it?! Why do certain people do it when they get embarrassed? And why does one of those certain people have to be me?! There have been a few instances that I have noticed my face getting beet red during my life, but it has really come out now that I have I started this new job. (I guess that I could blame it on the heat. You know, most people get really red when its super hot outside, but how do you explain a random sudden change of color of your face? I am far too young for hot flashes!)
So this all started when it was time to record my voice mail message in my new office. Who knows why, but I have always been someone who couldn't talk on the phone in front of people. I usually choose to hide myself in my room when chit-chatting with someone or making an important call. So if that has been my characteristic for doing things, why did I think that I could record my all important voice mail message with two of my co-workers in my office? When it was my turn to record, I thought that I could do it. I pumped myself up. "It's no big deal? Who cares." I told myself. Well, apparently, I did care. I was feeling quite brave as the voice message lady was talking me through all the prompts. And then the moment happened. She said, "leave your message after the tone." It was then that I froze. I started giggling, which made the other girls giggle and then I missed my prompt. I called it again and it all happened again. I would say, "Hello, you've reached..." and then we'd all be laughing. So I had to do it. I sent them out of the room and closed the door behind them. It took me several times to get it right. I kept getting tongue tide! You just try saying, "Child Life Specialist in Pediatrics at Scottsdale health care in the Shea campus" without messing up.(It may appear to be easy, but under the pressure of the voice recorder- you'd crack too!) Well, I finally got it done, but I had a slight pause in the middle of saying where I worked. I figured it was fine and slowly opened the door to meet my awaiting audience. Of course my supervisor decided to listen to it on speaker! We all sat around listening to my wonderful message. We all got a laugh at it and she told me to do it again. "You can't pause in the middle of where you work!" she said as she kept laughing. Then my supervisor turned to me and me why I was so red. I didn't really feel embarrassed, but sure enough, my face resembled a tomato. She then recalled other instances that she had seen it happen. Why? I ask. Why am I cursed with this sudden change of face color?!

If anyone has any solutions of how to overcome this- I am listening. I think that I have decided that I am going to get a real bad sunburn and then no one will notice when I am blushing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the only way to overcome things like that, is to expose yourself to it until you don’t care anymore. I’m like that with making phone calls at work. I HATE making phone calls and always have. When I first started my job, my worst fear everyday was that my boss would say, “Call so-and-so and find out such-and-such.” Every time it would happen I’d pick up the phone shaking with a clenched stomach.

But now, after two years of doing it, I pick up the phone of my own accord and make dozens of phone calls everyday. I still get nervous if I’ve never called the person before, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I think that once you are comfortable with your co-workers, you won’t feel as anxious to do things right and you’ll stop blushing as often. Anyway, that’s my two cents.

Anonymous said...

I dont think getting burned will help. all it will do is make it so you cant sleep then you will become a zombie and work will be hard.

Anonymous said...

Dad says
You definately get the red face from me. Sorry but I am not sure you will ever be able to overcome it without a daily sunburn and by now you know that is a NO NO!!! So just get used to it and before you know it it wont happen quite so often.