Why is he my new best friend? Well let me just fill you in! I have a good friend named Missy down here who just had foot surgery. It has been a long hall for her and still has to walk with a boot and crutches. Therefore, driving can be a little bit difficult. That being known, I'll move on to the actual important points to the story. Today was stake conference. Seeing as though I am in a student stake, made up of 8 wards,- there are a lot of people that attend...and parking is not an easy thing. (I know that you are all seeing where I am going with this).Missy had asked me earlier in the week if I would take her and to bribe me (not that she had to) she held up this bright red handicap tag explaining to me that we would get the best parking they had! I was sold!
Today as we pulled into the parking garage, I felt very special to be pulling in on the first level only a few feet from the door! I thanked her for having foot surgery on my behalf and we enjoyed a lovely short walk inside. I thought the perks were over, but little did I realize that they had just begun. When the session was over- there was no wait to get out! I thought to myself (and maybe even said out loud) I have GOT to get me one of these!
A few hours later we had to return to the institute building because it was being dedicated by Elder Eyring. Again- Missy and I headed out there. I wasn't worried because my nice little new best friend was hanging on strong to my rear view mirror. As I pulled in, I soon realized that the presence of an apostle made people arrive a lot earlier than they had in the morning. As we pulled in we asked the ushers if there were anymore handicap places available. "ummm...well drive over to that guy. He can help you" was the reply. The next guy had the same nervous face as he realized that all the spots were full as well. But do not fret. My little red friend came through as the usher said, "we'll let you park in the VIP parking". Sweet!!! I have never been a VIP in places like that. I told Missy, as we walked the short distance past all the cars going up- up- up in the parking garage, that thanks to her, this day was turning out quite nicely.
Once inside we had another obstacle to overcome. In order to be in the same room where Elder Eyring was going to be, you needed a ticket. Those without tickets were being ushered into classrooms in little groups. We got in the "no ticket" line and then my bad luck kicked in. As we got to the front of that line, they ran out of classrooms and started sending people to the Law Building across the street. Panic arose, but Missy's crutches and boot counteracted with my bad luck and things started looking up. "um, I cant walk to the Law building" Missy told them as she pointed down toward her boot. The ushers acted fast pulled us aside and said, "we'll find a place for you". I made sure it was known that we were together!
They led us into the room where only the beloved ticket holders could enter. But where to put us? I was so excited that I had made it into that room even though I had not received the ticket. I kinda felt bad for the poor usher girls because they were so worried about us. So we said, "we'll just sit in the very back." Which turned out to be the best seat. It was the third overflow, but up above was a big screen so we could see it all, we had a wall to lean up against and plenty of room to stretch out our legs and Missy could put her foot up!
Then out to our car and on our way while the rest of the stake waited in lines all the way up 5 flights in the garage. I told Missy that she should keep the boot and crutches and we can do this for many years to come! Count your many blessings even if it comes in the form of someone else's foot surgery! :)
3 comments:
What a great story! I want one of those, too! Every time we go to Wal-Mart, the girls point out all of the closest parking spots I'm passing up and I have to try and explain why I can't park in them... Lucky you!
I must agree that little tag surely does come in handy. The only problem is when you are the person who has the full possession of the tag! I'd almost rather walking a mile to the door with no tag than to actually park closer and then crutch my way the short distance! ;) But of course others like yourself get to have little moments of joy! Glad you got SO LUCKY!
Dad says
I have to agree with Katie about using crutches for a short distance. I am getting better at it but is is loads harder when it is a no weight baring boot situation. I cant wait for that bone to heal and I can walk again even if it is with a boot for a few more months. I am greatful for that little red tag on the mirror.
Post a Comment