Life in the hospital is never dull. Behind each door lies an adventure and you never know what its going to be! That is one of the things that I really love about my job. Each child is different which means buckle up!
Right now we have a little 10 months old who has been in all week with cellulitis around her eyes. Therefore her face is swollen and her eyes are swollen shut. When I first met her, I felt my heart break! She has been alone for the majority of the time because of a hard family situation at home. Thankfully I've been able to be with her through the many tests and procedures. She's been in a way, like my little girl! I chose to set up a routine with her in my soothing techniques so that she knew that it was me each time since she couldnt see me!...hoping to give her some consistency and predictability.
On Friday I wore a lucky charms cereal shirt that one of my friends gave me for Christmas. Therefore, I believed that it would be my lucky day! Well at least I fully expected it to be! I went in to see my cute little munchkin and she was laying on her stomach with a blanket over her. As soon as I said hello she lifted her head and through those little slits in her eyes she saw me and gave me the cutest smile! (The first sign of a happy emotion during the whole week). Of course such cute behavior needs to be rewarded... I picked her up, kept the blanket on her and snuggled her for a little bit. Then I smelled something.
Hmm.... I looked at the crib and right there before my eyes...diarrhea everywhere! "Nice" I thought. I then realized that that was right where she was laying, but she was disguising it by laying on top of it. Now here I was holding her- with the same side that was just laying on the blanket, snuggled against ME! I didnt even want to look under the blanket and see what my shirt looked like. The little girl was still smiling (fully knowing what she did to me, I am sure) and playing with my name badge. I pulled her back slightly and looked down. Sure enough- right there over the "Lucky" part of Lucky Charms- filth! Diarrhea with who knows what in it. Well- the lesson there....lucky charms...not so lucky! She got all cleaned up with a bath and my shirt did as well. Thankfully we have extra clothes here at the hospital for such occasions!
Yesterday when I went in to see her and she actually opened her eyes and again gave me that award winning smile. Being the smart girl that I am... I checked under her and the coast was clear! I did her hair and took her on a walk and to the playroom. This right here is one of the reasons that I love my job... I love seeing the kids get well, play- and well... be kids again!
7 comments:
Jill, I sure do love your stories...you seem to have lots of them and great ones at that! Good thing they have extra clothes for you to wear at the hospital! ;)
Jill- The joy of tending to babies is that the love you have for them overcomes all the mess you have to put up with. At least the "D" is not contagious in little ones. You are great. M
We've had our fair share of D. experiences in Nicaragua. You are a trooper!
Jill welcome to motherhood. :) I know you don't have kids of your own yet but I think this job is definitely preparing you for all of the joys that go along with it. He! He!
I am glad you were able to be there for this little girl. I can't imagine my Lukey being in the hospital and not being able to be with him.
I can just see the look on your face, as all of this unfolded.
ooh, lucky you ;)
Gotta love it! It's definitely easier to get pooped on by your own kid rather than someone else's! Good thing you didn't have to catch it in your hand - speaking from experience of course!!! :) I'm sure you're a great blessing in their little lives! Keep up the great work! Ry and Molly
Post a Comment