Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The power of the mind

I find it interesting that you can be so sure of something and then have it turn around and be so different! Let me explain...

Rewind to when I moved to Mesa. From the first drip of Mesa water on my tongue I was not a fan. I decided that I would buy bottled water. But then that started adding up. So...I ended up using my roommates water pitchers that you filled up and then as it sat in the fridge, it filtered the water. Therefore, if anyone was visiting, and not wanting them to be subject to such horrible suffering, I always steered them away from the oh so evil tap water!

Now in my new house, we have had to live without the "wonderful" water pitcher filter. Lucky for us, we have the water/ice dispenser thingy in the fridge door. It has been my life savor and I have absolutely enjoyed every last sip of the delicious water that somehow magically comes out of our fridge door! (I'm still working on that one!) Even now, when people come over, I steer them clear of the tap and lead them directly to the fridge door.

Well last night, I grabbed a cup and went for the fridge for my nightly cup of water. As I pushed my cup into the fridge door, nothing happened. "Umm... wheres the water?!" I asked my roommates. We tried to figure out what was amiss with the water and we came up with nothing. "What am I supposed to do?! " I asked as my mouth felt more and more parched by the second! My roommate pointed and said "Jill- there is water over there!" And she pointed to... get this... the tap!!!

"WHAT?!" I said "That water is nasty!" She looked at me and then it all came out... "Jill... That water is the SAME water that comes out of the fridge!" and then she started laughing. "The fridge water isn't filtered?!" I asked. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground as I went to stare at the door. "Are you sure?!" and then my non-believing/skeptical side came out. "How do you know?!" I asked curiously. She said- "Well, first of all, it tastes the same! and Secondly- show me where the filter is or even where it says that it is filtered!" Wow- 2 very good points. So I ventured over to the tap and filled up my cup. As I put the glass against my lips and took a sip- I found that she was right!!! It tasted the same!

Oh the power of your mind. I had thought and convinced myself that the water tasted good from the fridge simply because it came from the fridge and not the tap! How silly is that!
I am still trying to comprehend it all- since for a year I had thought so differently-

Lesson here folks- Sometimes it REALLY is all in your mind! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The water from the fridge is probably filtered. I bet it isn't working because the filter needs to be changed! But I am glad that you don't mind water from the tap anymore, it is technically the same water!

John and Laura said...

I am totally with you. When we go to Phoenix, I buy bottled water to drink while I'm there. Chances are, you've gotten used to the taste a little, and you may live where the water doesn't taste quite so bad. At my sister's old house, the tap tasted like 50% metallic dirt. Maybe a little worse than that. I was totally dehydrated by the time I got the store to buy some bottled water.

I love your stories, by the way. You always make me smile. Ü

Anonymous said...

I think we must be sisters :) -Joanna