Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm growing up!

I used to be a picky eater. When my family would go to Chinese restaurants, I would order a hamburger. I would usually be the last one at the dinner table when Stew was served because I just didn't want to eat it! And I would do anything to get out of eating stir fry.

As the years have gone by, I have learned to love each of those things. However- Fish was a NO GO! Tuna- okay. But that was IT!

When I went on my mission, I was forced to not only eat fish, but have it served full fish and all- with the head, eyes and tail! It was quite an experience. I never fully enjoyed it, but you do what you gotta do. I have had fish since then, but never by choice...until today.

I live with major fish eaters. Especially eaters of shrimp. Each time they make it, they offer it to me and I usually say no. A few weeks ago, I agreed and it wasn't too bad. Then yesterday we made a super yummy pasta dish and my roommate added shrimp and dare I say it... I kinda liked it! Then here's the clincher... today we took my roommate out for lunch for her birthday. Of course she chose a fish place! I ordered a cobb salad ( I know...) but get this... when the waiter asked if I wanted chicken or shrimp- I said SHRIMP! I almost shocked myself! When he brought it out, I kinda stared at my plate for a minute. I couldn't believe my plate and what I had order all on my own! I was so proud of myself! I am growing up and trying new things! (I still have a ways to go however... the first one was great but because they were jumbo shrimp it kinda got fishy-er as I continued eating. Maybe next time I will be able to finish them all! :) )

Then... to add on top of it, my roommate ordered Alligator and of course you have to try that! It wasn't too bad. Granted- it was fried, and what ISN'T good fried! :) I know you're all super impressed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. Deep fried shrimp at a chineese food place is the best I can do as far as shrimp goes. I do think I put small shrimp in pasta salad once. I'm glad that you are learning to eat all kinds of things- you are very mature!!!

AJ Candrian said...

I think you just ordered a hamburger at the Chinese food place because you couldn't understand the waiters/waitresses accents. So... naturally, you just had to order a hamburger, because you can't really go wrong with that. But props to you for trying fish. You'll learn to love it one day.

Janelle said...

I am a lot like you. Andre would love fish, but I don't know how to make it.

But I have always liked Chinese food.

Thoroughly Modern Millie said...

I am shocked!!!! You and fish? Do I even know you anymore? Good job!

Jefferson said...

next, sushi!

The Chan Clan said...

I didn't know you didn't like fish. What kind of roommate was I? Well, I guess on a college budget we were lucky if we had chicken for dinner. (o: Anyways, good to know the next time I have you over for dinner. luv ya