(Before I begin- I know that there are some of you who are just dying to know if and when I got my luggage back- well ... I wanted to give you a part of the experience that I had as each day I wondered the same thing! :) enjoy! And dont worry you'll find out soon enough!)
So one of the places I was most excited to see was Greece! Athens was so intriguing to me! I was hoping to see a big sign that said "WELCOME TO GREECE" when I got off the boat. However, I got a "Welcome to Piraeus" which was the name of the town that we were in! I'll take it!

Our first stop was to the very first Olympic Stadium! This is where it all started folks! Thanks to this place- every 2 years I become anti-social and never leave the couch as I watch every competition! I loved being here!

Our first stop was to the very first Olympic Stadium! This is where it all started folks! Thanks to this place- every 2 years I become anti-social and never leave the couch as I watch every competition! I loved being here!
I decided that I missed my calling in life and that I should be an Olympic runner- Here I am trying it out! I look like I fit in there huh! Just move that gate and I'll be on my way!
One thing that was very funny about Athens were the stray dogs. Now, Nicaragua had a lot of stray dogs, but they didn't just lay around EVERYWHERE- and they were little dogs. These were full grown- some german shepard size- all around. They didnt beg for food or get in your way. They were simply there. This picutre makes me laugh because you can see Nate is standing right by it and it could care less.

From the Olympic stadium you can see the Acropolis. Such an awesome sight! Which is where we went next!
From the Olympic stadium you can see the Acropolis. Such an awesome sight! Which is where we went next!
Here we are outside waiting for our guide to get our tickets. I had my water and headset! I was set to walk up and up and up!

So turns out- just like Rome, I really knew very little about the history here! Good thing we had a guide and also Tiffany teaches 6th grade so she was able to fill me in a lot! This is one of the original theaters that is still used today! Plus, it gives you an awesome view of Athens!

From here we reach the Parthenon. It really is so weird to see something in person, when you've seen it so many times in books! We just kept looking at each other and were thinking- look! Its the Parthenon- right there in front of us! How crazy!!! Especially since I had seen some many parts of it when I was at the British museum last year! Wo- crazy to see where it had all come from!
One thing that I wasn't quite prepared for was how many millions of people (seemed like) that were there! But I am sure that in the ancient times there were Millions of Greeks everywhere too! :)--- at least thats what I told myself so that I could get the full experience!
Some nice lady took some pics of Tiffany and I (which shockingly looks like there aren't as many people there! This picture is quite deceiving)
One of the things I loved was looking out over Athens! What an incredible site! If you like views- this is the place for you! -- I was thinking about what all those people were doing in those houses down below! So many stories and so much history!


We tried to get pictures where we were gazing out over the city in a "contemplating" type of way- but Tiffany kept making me laugh...so it didn't work so well.
We tried to get pictures where we were gazing out over the city in a "contemplating" type of way- but Tiffany kept making me laugh...so it didn't work so well.
At times I wondered how safe we were! --Does this not look like at any moment it could topple over?! I knows its been up for quite some time, but you never know when it will just give out! Kinda like Jenga- BOOM- when you least expect it! :)
I was happy to share this experience with 500,000 of my closest friends!
(It also makes me wonder how many other people's pictures I am in the background of!)
They did say to wear good walking shoes- I of course had my trusty flip-flops...which did surprisingly well. However, I figured out why they suggested it. Not because you needed support- no-- its because it is SO SLIPPERY! There is still marble on the walk ways- and even the rocks were slippery from the many people who have walked on them! I almost fell twice. One of which I would have taken out a whole group of people in front of me! Thankfully Tiffany grabbed my arm at the last second! Thank goodness for friends! (Even though that would have been really funny and embarrassing!:) )
One time Tiffany slipped and we heard this man behind us say to his wife "See. She slipped. Now be careful!" We are great examples for others huh! No need to thank us sir. We know!
3 comments:
Dad says
Wow!!! What a beautiful place it is, even with all those people around you. I also noted that you had a sunburn. It must have been pretty bad as it was in all of those many, many, pictures. You were worried about the slippery stairs while I was concerned about the condition of the stairs. They seemed to be different hight and widths. Glad you were careful and safe. Also, I have decided to move to greece and see if I can put a few pounds on while getting some muscles in my legs. The food looks so delicious.
You are soooo lucky!!! I love Greek food! One day Evan and I will go there. One day! I'm loving your trip. Keep it coming!
Your trip blogs are like a novel to me now. Does Jill get her bags back or not? I guess I will have to wait and see. Also, please, please, please, don't ever go on such an amazing trip without letting me know next time! :) I have been dying to go to all of these places!
Post a Comment