The Ostrich is an interesting animal. I had no idea what they were all about and therefore was quite intrigued when I got a Facebook invite for the Ostrich Festival which included this picuure...

Intrigued too? Thought So. (But what I did think when I saw this pictures was that I never ever want to be face to face- with THAT face. Ever.)
As I pulled into the large field with the rest of the cars, I rolled down the window to pay. I asked the man if it was $5 and then he looked at me and asked "What shirt are you wearing?" When I replied "It's a San Fran 49ers shirt" he got a big smile on his face and said "For you Ma'm it's free! I'm a 49ers fan myself!" and then he gave me a high five. "Are you serious?!" I asked and he said Yes as he put his hand up to his mouth as if to make a megaphone and announced to the rest of his parking buddies "We have a 49ers fan here! Let her in!"
That 49ers shirt was the best $7 I ever spent!
Turns out the Ostrich Festival is just a fancy word for a fair. Booths, fried food, and lots of good people watching moments! As I was walking to meet up with my friends, I heard someone say "Hello!" and I turned to see 4 people sitting down and smiling at me. I smiled, said hello back and continued to walk and then one guy asked- "Are you a Nurse?" and he looked so surprised when I said no. Maybe I just have a nurse look? (It was almost as weird as my nephew asking me- out of the blue- last night as we were waiting for a movie to start. "Hey Jill, can you put your big toe in your mouth? Cause I can." Ü)
Anyway- back to the story-
There were the "Amazing Dudes" who rode motorcyles in that black ball thing around 2 girls in shimmery and sequin filled outfits, (I know you can't see very well ... so I invite you to use your imagination here!)

Then some crazy man who called himself the amazing Zulo or something like that, stood up on this thing that roatated around and around. (He's that black spot up there). I really expected things to all go awry and I would watch a man plummet to his death. Thankfully for him (and also for us) he stayed on. He wobbled a few times, but I think it was all for the show.

From there we went to the highlight of the evening...

Can you read it? The Ostrich races!!! I have never seen anything so silly in my life. I took video of it to put on here and I can't get it off my phone! So photos will have to do!



They had ostriches pulling chariots as well. These animals make me laugh OUT LOUD! After the knocked the people off, they would just run around and looked so goofy that it was almost endearing. I laughed all night long about this. This event right here- was so worth the 9 bucks I spent for the whole evening! (I still find myself chuckling about this!)
However- then I saw that they were selling these...

Really? And the worst part was that it was right next to where the Ostriches were kept! Poor guys! A little tacky if you ask me- "Come see the Ostrichs race- now come eat one!" Sad. Incase you're wondering, my friends did eat one and the reports were not good. So now you know- Ostriches taste nasty!
Apart from the Ostrich races- they had camel races as well... (Another video that is stuck on my phone!) We did get this fancy picture with them though... I was ready for him to spit on me- so I was nervous in standing by him --- which I think is very aparent in my stance! :)


After he so kindly did not spit or bite me, I gave him a little pet (after getting permission of course) and he was surprisingly soft and had a lot of furr! I pressed my hand on his stomach expecting about 1/4 in of hair and my hand disappeared underneath it all! Who knew!
All in all, fun was had by all- I learned a lot of about this animal and as our hands said

Be fun day everyone! (Sounds like a Brian Regan joke to me!)
I was able to download the end of the pig races for your enjoyment. Maybe the heavens will smile down upon me and I'll be able to get the other videos on here too!
5 comments:
That ostrich face is more than a bit scary! Glad you didn't actually have to ride on one. Thanks for sharing another one of your everyday adventures!
Aren't you glad they don't actually have teeth (someone had a lot of fun with photoshop!)? Although I hear their bites are pretty ferocious anyway. I guess most county fairs have livestock contests for cows and pigs and chickens right next to the BBQ/fried chicken/hamburger booths, so it seems fair enough for the ostriches to have to deal with it too (good thing they can't read). Looks like a hoot!
It looks like fun was had by all- except for perhaps the ostriches. I guess they had fun knocking the people off their back-I'm glad you didn't ride one. You do find the most interesting adventures to go on.
Ostrich races! That may be one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in my whole life. It looks like you had a great time and I'm totally jealous of your attendance at such an event. Thanks for sharing!!!
This is definitely something I would love.
Post a Comment