Being single is not for the faint of heart. It is exhausting and if you're me-- an adventure. I think that I may have a sign on me that says- If you have something really bizarre to talk about please come to me! Let me just fill you in on what I am talking about. On memorial day my roommates and I geared up for some big social time at a bar-be-que that someone in our ward was having. I put on my happy face and was ready to "get out there" and meet some people. Lets just say it was a little on the disappointing side. After many train wrecks of conversations, I decided to plop down on the couch and watch the Jazz game. I struck up a conversation with the guy next to me. As we did so, the room began to fill up as more and more people, prob. tired of socializing, decided to just watch the game.
Well, the guy I was talking to, we'll call him Sam, got up out of the blue. I sat in a confused state, until I realized that he was going to get his guitar. "Is he really going to play that in here with all these people" I thought to myself. Yep. Sure was. As people tried to watch the game Sam began to play away. I suggested that he play a beatles song. He got up, went to another room, memorized the cords for "let it be" and came back. "Hmm" was just about the only thing that would come to my mind. I wasnt quite sure where this would be going. He sat down on the fireplace next to me and began not only playing, but singing as well. I listened patiently, but when we was finished I found myself feeling relieved. However, the celebration was too soon! He then proceeded to sing about 10 more songs that he had written about his past relationships! All about love and the beauty of these girls. Now I ask you, can you see how uncomfortable this moment is? First of all, it would be one thing if I was dating him and he was singing to me about ME, but nope- it was to me about other girls. Where the heck is one supposed to look at times like that. I can't look him in the eyes, but if I look around the room, thats rude! I wondered how long it would go on. Once it was over- just as quickly as he came, he was gone. He got up, complained about his back hurting, and then left. WHAT?!
Now fast forward to yesterday. Just under a week later, I see him at church. He says hello and stops. Since the only thing that I know about him is the guitar, I ask him if he's played recently. He explained that he can only write when he's love. "Thats crazy talk" I told him " Write about being single". Now had a known what was about to happen, I would NEVER have even gone there. He said, "well, actually I already have, it goes like this." He then proceeds to put his arms in the place where a guitar would have been and starts strumming his air guitar and then without warning starts SINGING the song about being single. "Surly this is a dream" I thought. It didnt stop there, he even sang the music part of it as well. I was mortified. I didnt want to be standing there in the doorway while people are passing and he's in his own world singing to me. I tried to stop him, buy saying, "thats cool thanks" in the middle of it, but to no avail, he sang me all 5 verses. Off key and completly unaware of the scene he was making.
My roommate was standing behind him and looking at me in wonder. "what is he doing?" she's mouth to me. and then had to bite her lip to stop from laughing as he'd go to the high notes. I couldnt make eye contact with her because I knew I would loose it. The best line, however, that he said as I was trying to get away was,"The best part is that I never mess up on my air guitar!!!"
Oh Mr. Right- Where are you?!
7 comments:
Sounds like a winner. I've had experiences similar to that. I'm sorry. I promise we're looking hard for you!! I love your blog. It cracks me up!
HeHeHe ... why are people so weird? That said, Evan, Laura's brother, has a song about all of his break-ups that he sings with the guitar, both in key and hilarious.
These are the experiences that make life fun! You will tell your daughters these things when they are dating!
The problem is I wont be having daughters if things keep going this way! :)
Oh I really understand what you are going through. Dont give up yet little sis
Your future husband is having all sorts of wierd encounters with weird girls and wondering where you are. Stand up on top of your house and yell,"Here I am" and maybe he'll find you and both of you will not have to fool with wierd people again. M
First of all, I love that you used a fake name. And second, nice try with "that's cool thanks." That never works with the true weirdos--in fact, only endears you to them. She loves my music...I shall play another :-)
Post a Comment