Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I almost moved today!

Each morning I listen to this loverly talk radio station on the way to work. I think it stems from my parents listening to a similar station in Utah. I have actually really enjoyed it because I feel like it has kept me up on the latest news. I feel like I know more about politics and the stock market then EVER BEFORE! (Granted, thats not saying much... but...):)

So, Being a state wide show and really being my true source for what is happening, I trust it. Well, recently in the news, it has been talked about that Arizona is very much in debt. Therefore they are toying with the idea that Toll roads on the freeways will be a good idea. I have heard this here and there for the past few weeks. Not really thinking much about it because obviously a law like that wont pass, I went on my merry way. That is, until this morning.

At 8:30 My favorite "speak your mind" radio host comes on. He is freaking out because "Arizona lawmakers passed the Toll road law last night. Starting Wed. April 2nd, Toll roads will be in affect at freeway on ramps all along the valley!" He started playing clips from the news conference- from one of the Arizona Highways guys. Therefore, you must have exact change and if not, they will turn you around. My radio guy was so outraged and upset and all the callers were as well. Yes, it would take time to get the actual booths up, but they will have workers waiting to collect.

I myself was just in shock. How could this be?! And who in their right mind thought that this was actually a good idea. Granted there were a few things that just didnt sit well in my mind. The guy from Arizona Highways said "Commuters should plan an extra 3 hrs into their morning commute". I was like- are you serious? Then there is the 101 freeway, the 202 freeway and the 51. So they were saying that it would be $1.01, $2.02, and .$.51 as the toll price. It was just so weird! I couldnt believe that I was really hearing what I was hearing. I use these freeways on an everyday basis- many times a day. As I started adding it up in my mind- I was going to have to get another job!

The thing about it all was the way my "trusted" radio guy was reacting. He was just like "This is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard of." and "So if you happen to use the 202 you have to pay double what they pay on the 51?" I mean he was so convincing about his state of shock. He said all the right things, in the right ways that I found myself outraged when I got to work. I kept saying to myself, "This has got to be an April fools joke. But, why would a major radio station do that- on a stupid holiday?"
So as I walked into work, I called my roommate- "GUESS WHAT?!" I tell her the whole deal and then I was like- I might just have to move! Gas prices and now this! This is CRAZY! blah blah. We decide together that as much as we want it to be a joke, its probably real. Since it has been in the news for weeks---

I decided it just might be time to pack up and really move to Tahiti! :)

I forgot all about it until tonight when I got home. I checked the Internet to see just where the tolls would be and read "Popular radio station KTAR plays April fools joke about Toll roads." ! I got had!!! I totally fell for it! I cant believe it! Man- those radio people were so convincing.

I guess the scriptures were right- beware of false priests! And wolfs in lambs clothing! People really can be such good liars!

I still cant believe that I fell for it! I usually am pretty skeptical with things people tell me, but I really believed this one! I mean, I was planning my exodus from this state! :)

Okay KTAR- good one. I have to give you credit. That was a good joke! But tomorrow as you start reporting on how the stock market is doing, I have a feeling that there might be some hesitation on my part, on whether I believe you or not! :)

4 comments:

John and Laura said...

I give you props for even considering that it could have been a joke. That probably never would have crossed my mind... Ü

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come up with practical jokes as funny as that one!

Janelle said...

You are funny. I NEVER fall for that kind of thing :)

I remember in high school a certain older brother would say to me, "I can't believe you are not blond".

Oh wait, you are blond!

Anonymous said...

Never believe anything you hear on April 1st. Newspapers and radio stations like to pull tricks the most. But one thing is for sure 3 days later on April 4th it is not a joke that it is one of my favorite people's birthday. Happy Day, no joke about it. M