Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Excuse me Sir- can I have some more?

Driving in Arizona isnt really something that I would put in the "These are a few of my favorite things" song. Adding to the headache of it all is that I live in "boonerville"- which is to be interpreted very very far away from just about everything! Thankfully, there are freeways- which is one of the reasons that we moved out here. They were just about finished with the freeway by our house. We were so excited because the freeway on ramp was going to be just around the corner-maybe .5 miles- from our humble abode! Life was going to be SWEET when they finally finished.

Or so we thought.

To begin- and for the purpose of this post to make sense- it is important to note, that I drive North to get to work. For the majority of my time working there, it should have taken me about 2 minutes to get to the freeway. However, since I had to travel through 4 traffic lights to get to the freeway- those 2 minutes could easily be turned into 12 if you hit them wrong. (I know, call the wambulance for me...). However, I sucked it up and dealt with it. Knowing that real soon- only 1 traffic light would stand in my way of zooming to work.

I was also excited because my drive to my brother's house would be shortened quite a bit as well. It is also important to note that he lives South (opposite direction of work) and the completed freeway would probably cut 10 minutes off the drive.

As the time approached to the finishing date of the freeway, we were all elated! Joy beyond control was running through our veins! We would finally be connected to the rest of the valley. (Yes, I know- 4 traffic lights was not that bad, but think of the possibilities! That could mean 12 more minutes of sleep in the morning!) Each day that we drove past the construction zone we would feel ourselves getting so excited about the upcoming change.

However, as I began to look closely to the construction, something hit me one day. And as the freeway finished and opened, what I feared most came to be reality. I give you exhibit "A"


An on ramp going in what direction? oh yeah- south. This- I expected. The quick drive to my brother Jeff's would now come to pass! I would surely need to be visiting them much more!

But wait...something was amiss..

Exhibit "B"



This direction is facing North. Are you seeing the thing thing that ISN'T there?! Excuse me sir- isn't this where the on ramp to go North should be?! The on ramp that was going to make my life so much easier? The on ramp that I needed to take EVERY morning to work.
So they don't give us a road, but they do give us a fence so that you can WATCH all the cars driving upon the freeway that you desire to be on as well.

And to show how kind they are, they also added 2 stop lights as well! So instead of this nice quick hop, skip and a jump away from zooming that I thought I was going to have-I now have 6 lights to go through which kinda makes it a hop, skip, jump, hobble, stumble, then zoom...
So nothing really changed with my commute to work. I still get on at the same place that I had previous driven to. Each morning as I pass OVER the free way and see the cars zooming by as I am stopped at the newest light, I find myself mumbling under my breath. I can almost hear the people mocking and laughing as they are already zooming on their way!
So I ask- why did they not feel it important to add the North on ramp? (and lets not forget that coming home from work, there isn't a South off ramp either! So the same 6 stoplights get in my way from getting home for a yummy snack!)


So please sir (aka city of Mesa)- can you please build some more freeway and help a girl out?! Each day I think that maybe- just maybe- they guy in charge is going to wake up and say "Oh NO! We forgot the north on ramp!" and then they'll get the team back to work and fix it! Ya think?! Hey- anything is possible!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

That is so lame!

Anonymous said...

That should give you time to figure out the timing so that you can breeze through all the lights. There must be a way!

Jillinda said...

I love how you tell your stories. You always make me laugh. I have to agree with you though. Hello to Duh! They forgot something.