Sunday, August 17, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Well- Can you believe it?! Today is the 3 year anniversary of when I returned from my mission to Nicaragua. I can not believe it has been so long. Each day my thoughts are filled with the wonderful memories of that place. I'm feeling a bit sentimental right now, so please join my on a glimpse of the wonderful experiences and place that is my home away from home!
(Warning- you may feel the need to laugh as you see these pictures. Socks with sandals, no socks at all, frumpy clothing, slicked back hair, me a foot taller than everyone else! :) You will see in all it's glory- the missionary way of life in good ole Nicaragua! Just remember as you're laughing, I still got at least 2 marriage proposals a day! Maybe I should go back to looking like that! :)

Nicaragua is a land full of both beauty-



and a land of poverty-




But the people are so happy! I really miss them so much. They are a people full of love!




And don't even get me started on the adorableness of the kids!





The people were ready to hear the truth and it was an incredible experience to teach these people, see them recognize the spirit, gain a testimony and truly convert!






They also taught me a thing or two! How to dance, cook their traditional food, and carry my laundry "correctly"!



We faced the elements of hot hot sun (we search out shade probably as much as we search for investigators), the all of a sudden down pouring of rain, and lots and lots of dirt! (in one city, our feet looked like this every night!)









We ate lots of interesting food-Fruits that I had never had like Guava, re fried beans in a bag, and once I ALMOST ate chicken feet! (plus, much much more!)







I had so many wonderful companions from all over-



Which led to a whole lot of fun!





Yes, there were hard times of long days of tracking, and stomach aches... (pepto was my friend!)













But I wouldn't change it for anything!!!



I love you Nicaragua! I can't wait to return!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet missionary. I'm so glad that you had that experience. There are so many good people all over the world, I'm glad that you found a country full of them.

John and Laura said...

Wow! Look at your hair in the Pepto picture. I had forgotten how long it was. And if you want to see Hermana Frump, you'll have to look at MY mission pictures. You were cute! :) (and you still are)

U-NO-HOO said...

Gracias por compartir, Hermana Yil. Esta pagina es bien hecho! Y me alegra que tuviste tantas buenas memorias de tu 'otro' hogar ;)

aaron

U-NO-HOO said...

Just making sure, is the woman in that last pic

1) loving you?

2) blind, and trying to make out who you are?

3) testing your forehead to see if you have Denge/Yellow Fever/hiccups?

;)

Lo siento, I couldn't resisto

aaron

Caryn said...

That makes me really homesick for my mission. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Nicaragua- in a sing song voice. Soy puro pinolero por la gracia a Dios. I want to go back so bad!! Spring trip?! Rob needs to see this place in all it's glory. Maybe Neeley will come with us too.